Alan's Argentina Photos 2001
It had been 12 years since my last trip to Argentina. I hadn't seen family
there in that long. I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about taking
photos. I wanted to just be there. So, snapshots would be sufficient.
Also, I figured, if I had a Mavica, for example, I could store the pix on floppy
disks and if I could find an Internet café or something, I could actually
post the photos on Ofoto and people back home could view the pix as they happened.
As it happened, a good friend lent me a first generation Mavica camera (thanks
Michael). I bought 20 diskettes and off I went to the other Down Under. Also,
as it happened, there were Internet cafés and such but the connection
times were excrutiatingly slow and about half way through the trip, I could
not keep up the uploading of the photos with the taking of them.
So, here they are. I've done very little editing. You will note that the photos
range in quality from crummy to occasionally okay. I wasn't going for quality.
I just wanted an easy way to capture places and family. I used PhotoPage to
quickly construct HTML pages with thumbnails and links to the JPGs. The HTML
is neither elegant nor sophisticated. Maybe some day I'll make it so, maybe
not. But at least the photos are finally out there so folks can see them.
Here is a list of pages with photos. Take a look. My faves are the shots of
hanging with the family in Mar del Plata (1
and 2), the bunch called Tango,
Colonia (1, 2
and the Panorama), and the family shots,
mostly at Lucila's and Graciela's.
Email me questions or comments if you like: .
- Arriving: Flying into Rio and Buenos Aires.
First day and night in BsAs.
- First Days: First couple of days, bumming around
BsAs. Cool buildings, quick trip to Devoto.
- Mar del Plata 1: Off to Mar del Plata for almost
a week on the beach (in the dead of summer, February) with family. A yearly
tradition the Pagliere family has been carrying on uninterrupted since 1947.
- Puerto de Mar del Plata: Port shots.
- Mar del Plata 2: Life continues to be a beach.
- Leaving Mar del Plata / Sightseeing in Buenos
Aires: Back to Buenos Aires.
- Devoto / el centro: A trip to Devoto, the old
family barrio along with more shots of downtown.
- Tango: The Confiteria Ideal, and some of
the Pa' que baile la ciudad 4 day, city-wide celebration of the Tango.
- Ana Maria / San Telmo: An evening with
Ana María and friends and an interesting though very hot trip to San
- Buenos Aires Rowing Club: The English style Rowing
Club, dripping with tradition. I have an uncle in the business.
- A lo de Lucila: Heavy duty relaxation at my cousin
- Colonia 1: A day trip across the widest river
in the world to a beautiful, sleepy colonial town.
- Colonia 2: Couldn't get enough.
- Colonia Panorama: Got QuickTime?
You can pan 360 degrees while standing on the wall around the old city. (if
you don't have QuickTime, view the jpg)
- A lo de Graciela: At my cousin Graciela's to
celebrate her birthday.
- el Congreso: Touring the Congreso area
with Ana María and Lila.
- La Chacarita: The family crypt. No kidding.
And the Argentine equivalent of Graceland: Gardel for Presley.
- Last Day: Another rough day relaxing and an asado
before my trip back.